Area of expertise and Healthcare Provider’s contribution to care for patients within the MetabERN Network
Vilnius University Hospital Santariskiu klinikos
Vilnius University Hospital Santaros Klinikos (VUH SK) is a tertiary level University Hospital encompassing all the main medical specialties and ensuring multidisciplinary and often individualized care for patients with hereditary metabolic diseases. Vilnius University Hospital Santaros Klinikos:
- Provides neonatal screening for the whole population of Lithuania;
- Provides metabolic testing for inborn errors of metabolism for the whole population of Lithuania;
- Provides molecular genetic testing for inborn errors of metabolism, including next-generation sequencing, for the whole population of Lithuania.
- Provides specific treatments for selected inborn errors of metabolism (e.g., phenylketonuria and galactosemia) for the whole population of Lithuania.
SPECIFIC TREATMENTS AND INTERVENTIONS PROVIDED BY THE HCPs
Activities of VUH SK in the area of hereditary metabolic diseases include:
- All-level extensive diagnostics of IEM including prenatal/preimplantation genetic diagnostics, nation-wide neonatal screening, biochemical genetic, molecular genetic diagnostics; general laboratory, pathohistological, specialized laboratory testing; radiology and nuclear medicine.
- Specific treatments including nutritional, enzyme replacement therapies and bone marrow transplantation; specialized treatments including intensive care, complex and minimally-invasive surgeries; long-term surveillance and follow-up for patients with IEM.
- All-level medical education, teaching and training including pre-graduate, graduate and post-graduate levels, and continuing medical education at a national and international level.
- Research activities.
- Support for and collaboration with patient organizations.